Saturday, August 19, 2006

Sign Of The Times


There is nothing more I hate than fear and the effect it could do to people especially when mass hysteria is involved. Fear is such a powerful force when not put in check.

People have a reason to be cautious, that i understand. It's unfortunate but that's the kind of world we live in today, but fear at the cost of compromising freedom and logic reasoning is something I can't tolerate. Ok. I'll get off my high horse now.

Jennifer and I were riding on BART today and found an unclaimed backpack. I looked at it and started to wonder about it myself. But Jennifer got all excited about it and so did the other passengers. Suddenly people were starting to fear the worse. So I called the call box and reported it to the operator, on the next stop the train stopped and the police came over with his trusty German Sheppard and took the thing away, it turned out to be just some clothing. The whole thing was just stupid to begin with. There's risks in everything we do. Sometimes you just have to take a deep breathe and use your right judgment. I don't know why I did what I did. Don't know if I felt like my life was in great danger or if I just got swept along every one else's hysteria. The whole thing was just ridiculous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your comment about the situation on the BART train was typical of the people of London before the bombing, bored, confused, wishing the train would just hurry up and take me where I want to go. However< If you had ever been unfortunate enough to see a bomb in a confined space as I did in London, you really would not be so quick to judge.
I have to say tho that when something like this happens in London they do over react in the Bay Area for no particlar reason. If they are bombing London, then all the money, energy,etc is used up there. IF, and, I did say IF, they wanted to hit the Bay area, it would come out of the blue, not the very day/week later when every one is on alert.
This is how the IRA worked for 30 years on mainland britain. Nothing would happen when we expected it, or were looking for it. Dont let them rule your life, thats what they want. But don't get cocky. Just because you are paraniod doesnt mean they arnt out to get you!!